Twin County Regional Healthcare Blood Drive Information
Giving blood generously saves lives in your local community
Why Donate Blood?
Every three seconds someone needs blood. Accident victims, people undergoing surgery, and patients receiving treatment for leukemia, cancer or other diseases utilize approximately 40,000 units of blood each day. Every minute patients use more than 36 units of blood or blood products. Every year more than 23 million units of blood and blood components are transfused.
In October of 2006 TCRH joined with JMH In Abingdon, VA. Their blood bank is one of only two self-sufficient hospital-based blood donor collection centers in Virginia.
This means they collect blood in our area and they return it to our local patients.
Blood donations collected by other agencies often go into a national bank where they are distributed throughout the country.
Qualifications for Donating Blood:
- 17 years or older.
- First time donors over the age of 65 must have permission from their doctor.
- Minimum of 110 lbs.
You may not donate blood if you have had:
- Cancer (other than minor skin cancer)
- Diabetes requiring insulin
- Heart, lung, kidney, liver, or stomach disease may or may not prevent you from donating
- Recent flu or current cold, sore throat, or fever
- Close contact with a person with Hepatitis in the last 12 months
- Tattoo, ear, or skin pierced in the last 12 months
- Active infection or disease presently requiring prescribed medication
- Vaccinations in the past 24 hours (allergy injections 6 hours and flu shots 2 weeks)
- Blood transfusion in the past 12 months
- In the past 3 years lived in, or in the past 12 months, visited a malaria endemic area
- Spent a total time of 3 months, visiting or living in the United Kingdom from 1980 through 1996 or 6 months associated with the military in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.
People in the following high-risk groups for AIDS may not donate blood:
- People with clinical or laboratory evidence of the AIDS virus infection
- Past or present I.V. drug users
TCRH Blood Drive Information
Giving blood generously saves lives in your local community.
Twin County Regional Hospital
200 Hospital Drive
Galax, VA 24333
- Find a Doctor
- Behavioral Health
- Blood Drive
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Diabetes Education
- Diagnostic Imaging/Radiology
- Chest Pain
- Emergency Department
- Laboratory Services
- Occupational Health/WorkPoint Wellness
- Patient Accounting
- Sleep Medicine
- Speakers Bureau
- Stroke Awareness - Joint Commission Certified Primary Stroke Center
- Volunteer Services
- Wellness Center
- Women’s Services